So here's an update on our "Mini Blobness" series. We're looking at all the different stages and work that goes into creating a "Mini Darcy" from a small wire armature and Aves Apoxy Sculpt. I've been working on other projects - like getting out resins and painting commissions that I haven't done much work on her at all since our last update. However, I felt this part deserved a post to fill people in on how I'm "matching" Darcy.
It helps to have the big Darcy modeling in front of me while I sculpt on the mini, however even though I've already sculpted her once, seeing it again in a different scale is not as easy as one might think. I'm close, but I want exactness!
Photos of your piece can be an invaluable tool if you have a good camera that will not distort your item being photographed. One, you'll see the piece in a clear picture with a new eye. There's something about a different setting that recharges the eyes. I've heard people using mirrors for this too, but there's a reason I like photos better.
By placing the picture of the original Darcy on top of the picture of Mini Darcy (or vice versa) and then turning down the transparency I can see exactly where I'm off. Close is no cigar! Lots of things were pointed out to me - the head and poll needed to be moved up, the front legs needed to be moved forward as well as shortened and the chest needed to be extended forward a smidge, the back needs some slight straightening, though at least the length is correct, the tail extends to far out so it will need to be trimmed, the rear legs are too thick at the stifle and gaskin and need trimming as well, and the rear cannons' angle needs to be larger as well as the the length needing shortening. I learned *all that* just by putting the two photos together. Talk about a time saver!
So, the work begins! Here is where I miss my non-hardening J. Mac. clay/wax mix. You can't exactly squish and move cured Apoxy so, we slice into and break until I can bend the armature wires into submission! Her head no longer has enough support to hold it's weight in place so I'll need to be careful about getting the angle/placement right when I put Apoxy back around there.
Let the sanding and resculpting begin.